Monday, February 18, 2008

Tintypes and the Daytona 500

So the Daytona 500 was on yesterday. My husband loves racing, I really don't much care about it. So In between sitting and keeping him company during it, I went in and out of my studio and this is what I did. I had the tintypes for awhile and just yesterday decided what to do with them. I saw an article in Somerset Workshop 3 ( a must have) about using Gesso in different ways. So I turned a canvas over and painted the frame part with cranberry craft paint and a gesso dry brush. Then I stamped on it with a rubber stamp and gesso. If you do this, paint the gesso onto the stamp kind of lightly and wipe off between stampings.
Then I gesso drybrushed some papers and also gesso'd some lace. Attached them with heavy gel medium. Than I rooted thru my naturals stash and found some I like and gesso'd them too. My sister Kate collects the most amazing naturals for me, thanks Kate!!
Then I put a piece of foam board on the back of each tintype and mpunted it all together. Then i did a light, wipe on and off coffee wash to the stampings, just to knock down some of the white.
I really like using canvas this way. Sort of a shallow shadow box effect.

Peace

7 comments:

Ursula said...

It's really gorgious!!!

greetings Ursula

gulfsprite said...

I love it! More of the unexpected perfectness.
-Christsy

karishma said...

Your piece is beautiful and inspiring.

It was also the 3rd in a series of odd coincidences today - I posted more on my own blog.

http://artbykarishma.wordpress.com/2008/02/18/muse-messages/

Weird how our muses work sometimes, isn't it?

--karishma

kelsey said...

This has turned out great Mary! Using canvases as shadow boxes has taken off in the scrapbook world too (where I work - not "do"! lol). They like the depth to it and it's easy to see there are all sorts of possibilities by having that little shelf down the bottom!

Wanda H said...

Very nice!!

Dawn said...

Oh my !!excellent tin type canvas...

Amy said...

That is so creative!