Saturday, February 2, 2008

Faces

I love working with womens faces. These are some pieces I did for a local art show. The oval one is titled 'Mathair', celtic for mother. I textured the background with modeling paste. The face is done up with feathers I collected. The eyebrow is the green down from a ducks neck. I put each teeny tiny green feather on one by one. The furry bit is some fabric I found at Hobby Lobby. I used teddy bear eyeballs mounted in paper clay. I mounted an extra piece covered in rabbit fur and feather to the back of the canvas.

This piece is titled'Flight'. Again I textured the background and used metallic craft paint. The feathers were mounted one by one. It is a little tricky working in feathers. You want to break the spines before you mount them. And you can only do a few at a time because you want to weigh them down to dry. I didn't win with either piece. I don't think they get me around here. But everyone had to pet the feathers on 'Flight'.
Oh yeah, I should tell you that the faces are styrofoam that I gessoed and painted.
So there's the art for the day.
Peace

3 comments:

Christy said...

These are beautiful and I can understand the desire to touch the flight piece. You have amazing amounts of patience and it shows in the depth and beauty of your work.
-Christy

rosebudinnh said...

ohhh my, the black and the feathers, I just loveeee it.This is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!! Rose

http://rosebudinnh.spaces.live.com/

Eileen said...

Mary, these are wonderful. I can't imagine applying each feather by hand. And the faces are beautiful.

Eileen