Monday, January 14, 2008

Brothers

People always want to know how I come up with the ideas I have. It happens in different ways. 'Brothers' came to life because of the little feet on the tryptich.

I am a crap collector. If it is odd or rusty or broken or just interesting for no reason I can name, I collect it. I found the feet in a baggie in a second hand shop. They are wooden thingies with slots cut into them. I had to have them!

So I got them home and they lived on one of my worktables for a long time. I like to keep as much stuff visible as possible until it tells me what it is going to be. I knew they were feet but I didn't know what for.

Then I was looking thru my photo stash and I found these pics and the guys all looked sort of alike. And in my fevered little mind they meshed with the feet and Ta Da , the idea was born. I made the piece from foamboard. I am still learning about this stuff. Not as easy to work with as you would think.

And I coffee aged the paper, something I had been wanting to try for awhile. The pages I used are from a dictionary. One of my favorite things to do. They are the pages that have the definition of brothers on them. Then I remembered that I had seen an article about soldering paper. So I edged the whole thing in copper foil tape. Then when I reread the article i found out that you have to cover the piece in hard glaze in order to solder it. I didn't want to use up all my glaze so I just knocked down the shine with ink. I used Run n Buff on the feet to turn them copper because they were a bright gold. I love Rub n Buff. Very cool stuff and it comes in a lot of finishes and the tube lasts forever.

So that's how 'Brothers' was born.

Today I am hoping to finish a vintage feeling sewing shrine I have been working on.

Peace

No comments: