Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Wood Spirit

This is on eof the Wood Spirits I make using things from our property. The bark is from a dead fall oak tree. The fungus is from another dead fall that I won't let my husband cut up 'cause it grows such good stuff. The feathers are donated from a hunter friend of ours, they are Pheasant.



I make the face using terra cotta clay. Then I dusted it with Pearl-Ex powder. Then I just glue stuff on till I'm happy. The hardest part of this is to make the piece hangable. The bark is curved so I had to make a hanger that was long enough to work with that. So I cut a piece of leather thong. Then I glued it to the back in a loop using E6000, one of my favorite glues.

So in the spirit of Spring which has to be here one of these days I offer my Wood Spirit.

Peace

14 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Mary! I love this piece. It is so great to use nature's art supplies too.

Sue Farace said...

I love it, I love it, I love it! Recycling from nature is a wonderful thing.

Anonymous said...

oh this is great . love the name too. very creative project.... Rose

Unknown said...

Beautiful piece Mary, you truimph again, I love the way you use so much of nature in your art - fantastic!!!!

Danielle said...

Another wonderful piece. I would be proud to hang this on my wall.

Francine said...

Great piece, Mary! Love it.
Question about the clay; did you
use oven bake or do you have a kiln?
Love the look of the red clay.

Christy said...

Mary your spirit is beautiful (the wood spirit too)!
-christy

Pat said...

Mary, that piece is a work of art! Put a feather in your cap!
(No, better not!)
Pat

Sharon Zeller Clark said...

Hi Mary......such a lovely piece! Makes me want to get out in our woods soon. I had gourds and mosses and fungus but had to let it all go when we moved. Now that we are settled I can start accumulating and creating again.
Thanks for sharing your art!
Alma Jane
http://almajanesattic.blogspot.com

Moonwillow said...

Oh Mary I just love this piece! You are so lucky to live in such a bountiful property. I too love the tree spirits, have a few candle holders and such and yours is perfect!

Anonymous said...

Great piece I can't believe i saw this today after being out and picking up bark in the woods today. Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary - it's a great piece! Just thought I'd let you know that Carol & gang are wondering about you :) Looks like you're pretty busy here though!!

*jean* said...

what a lovely piece of art!!

Val Foster said...

This piece is so beautiful Mary. Very stunning indeed! I love nature art, and using natural items in art. I've done a few pieces myself, but nothing like this. Kudos to you.