Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Shrine and a Pink Piece

I really like the Old West. So I did a shrine to Annie Oakley. I found a bunch of images from the Buffalo Bill Wild West show and used them on the sides and in the attic.

I shingled the roof with shingles from the doll house section at Hobby Lobby. I used vintage lace and dried naturals and Birch bark and a piece of Oak for embellishments.

I used rice paper instead of dictionary pages like I usually do to cover the walls. I gotta say i didn't like working with it. I think I will stick to dictionary pages.
I put this in my Etsy store.

I was paging thru mags for no particular reason and I started pulling ads. The face is black and white, so I put some color in with crayons. Nothing else worked.

I did the background with oil pastels and sealed it before collaging on it. The ribbon on the side is made from paper. I thought it fit well with the lace. Then I added the pearls because I seem to be on a pearl kick lately.


I love the way the flowers are almost a hat or almost her hair depending on how you look at it.

This was just plain fun to do.Sometimes you just gotta play.

I put this in my store too.


Peace

11 comments:

Moonwillow said...

I just love this! So pretty!

Eastjewels said...

These are great Mary...I like the way the flower is part of her hair also...how beautiful
Linda (Okla)

Eastjewels said...

The Annie Oakley Shrine is awesome. I bet Kathy in Arkansas would love it...
Linda

Jill said...

Gorgeous work, Mary!

Anonymous said...

I love both of these Mary, but especially the pink piece! The flower hat/hair is stunning. Your work is always engaging.
Gaye

Inka said...

OMGosh! Another unbelievable fabulous piece! I am embarrassed to send you the little piece I did for you : / Please stop by my blog as I have nominated your for the Arte Y Pico award too :)

Denise Moore said...

Little Annie Oakley is adorable. My older sister was a huge fan, had the whole outfit. Your work is so imaginative and beautiful. Hope your etsy store is going well!
Denise

Inka said...

Oh my gosh this is sooo beautiful!

Inka said...

OOPS that was suppose to go on the sewing shrine :]

Mrs Parsnip said...

I love the colours in this, especially her flowery 'hair'!

Maija said...

y shrine is wonderful! If you love all things Old West, check out my friend Deb Trotter. You can find her on my blog!