Saturday, February 7, 2009

Imaginary Friends

There is a commercial on TV where you see someone head-on and then you see the back of their head and it is a stage. I couldn't tell you what it was a commercial for, because I was so fascinated by the stage. So I got a wig stand and carved a cave in the back. Then I gessoed it all inside and out. Then I used modeling paste to swirl around where hair would be.Then I painted it Bamboo color and the inside of the cave antique white. Then I used pastels and Q-tips to give light make-up to her. I didn't want it to be stand-out because it's not the focal point. I gave her false eyelashes too. Then off to the doll house section of Hobby Lobby. I wanted a chandelier, but they didn't have any. This ceiling fan is what they had. The blade turns!! The chair, table and candlesticks are from there too.

I cut a floor from foam board. Then I instant coffee'd a dictionary page and stamped it and covered the floor with it.

Then with the floor in place I printed a pic of a bookcase and gel mediumed it to the back wall.


I had a dried Puffer Fish and a Frozen Charlotte doll and they just seemed like they needed to live in the cave. I trimmed the edge with cord.
So I hope you like my Imaginary Friends.
Peace



15 comments:

Inka said...

OMG this is amazing!

Anonymous said...

I iove it!

Sherry Goodloe said...

I know that commercial, and for the life of me, I don't remember what it was for EITHER! Ooooooh, but you sure did an excellent job of designing your OWN. LOVE this piece!!

Unknown said...

Mary, Mary how on earth do you do it - you totally blow me away with your ideas...OMG I just love this. You are such a unique talent my friend - your vision is extraordinary.....
WOW!!!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE this piece. I know exactly the commercials you are talking about and love the idea of making that work in an art piece. Great job!

Cynthia (Cindy) Powell said...

Fantastic!

Mary S. Hunt said...

mary!!!!! this is incredible!!!!
you used your imagination to the fullest...OMG i can't even get the right description out to give you the deserved praise...
just...fabulous!

Val Foster said...

Mary, I totally LOVE this piece. As I've always said about you, you are so innovative and avant garde. This piece is stunning. Mega kudos to you for this idea, and for running with it.

Anonymous said...

I totally love this.

Pat said...

Mary, could you somehow give us a lesson on inventiveness and creativity? That is the most original piece ever...you always use such interesting items that aren't from local craft stores. I probably would be more creative if I stayed out of the stores and used what my brain told me to use. Just fabulous!
Pat S

Zeborah Loray said...

Love it.
I have a similar one started with the opening in her forehead. LOL

The puffer fish and frozen Charlotte do cohabit nicely.

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Love it!
Katina

Corinne Vivian said...

I love this. I have to do a self portrait of sorts - I think I will try this. What fun to stuff my head with all the things I love. So clever

Anonymous said...

Mary, this awesome assemblage should be in a gallery or exhibition! It always amazes me, the things you create, what talent!

Sue McGettigan said...

This is just SO cool! I know exactly the commercial you're talking about, and I don't remember what it's for, but I love the way you interpreted the concept. Way to go!