Thursday, July 24, 2008

A Dragon In The Making

I am really excited about this. It is going to be a Dragon sculpture. You are looking at the tail and the head. I am stringing small bones on copper wire. They are very small, about 1/4 inch or so. The biggest cgallenge is getting them glued together without any glue showing. So this is the tail and next I will be working on the back, ribs and legs. I even got some cat claws to use as talons! Did you know when cats get REALLY old they shed their claws? I didn't, but they do.
This is going to be the head. It is a piece of Devils Claw from my friend Rose in AZ. I gave it a shot of white spray paint and am going to add a little off-white so it matches the bones better.
This is a collage/mixed media piece I have just started. I have never used my writing in a piece before because I write like a grade school kid. But I figured I would give it a shot on this piece and it's not too bad.
I wanted to stamp big shapes, but I don't have any big stamps so I made my own with that foamie stuff you use to make stuff for kids.
So that's what I've been up to.

Peace

3 comments:

Denise said...

I really like what you do with the bones you have. I have used fish cartilage on a couple of pieces and love the textures and shapes of this kind of thing!

Kim said...

I really like the writing in the bg of your whimsy piece - I like adding that touch even if I don't always like my writing either. I'm not used to writing anything anymore other than my name on a debit slip lol.
Dragons I love , and hope I catch it when you complete it! You've got some fantastic beginnings to work with , and glad to see you're feeling more inclined to art!

Anonymous said...

I love the writing on your whimsey piece. And too funny — I have some Devil's Claw that I've been waiting for inspiration to use! Not sure yet where it will take me....

Cyndi - Dreams Unltd